A rich, deeply saturated shade of purple named ‘Ultra Violet’ has been announced as Pantone’s eagerly awaited ‘Colour of the Year’ for 2018.
2018’s hue-to-be is not for shrinking violets—or, maybe it is. Today, Pantone declared UltraViolet as an “enigmatic purple shade that evokes the inventive spirit and imaginative thinking that challenges the status quo. A spiritual, cosmic hue, Ultra Violet pushes the boundaries of what inspires us to look upward and outward to the future."
For those of you looking to incorporate the new shade within your homes, Wayfair Style Advisor, Nadia McCown Hill shares her tips on how best to handle this year’s bold hue.
“Described by the Colour Institute as a ‘provocative but thoughtful shade’, historically attached to ‘originality, ingenuity, and visionary thinking’ the emergence of this hot hue signals a spirit of rebellion amidst increasingly uncertain times – so how can you infuse it into your newlywed home décor?”
• Ultra violet is a dramatic colour that wants to make a statement, so it lends itself brilliantly to fearless feature pieces. Try upping the ante in your space with a bold upholstered cocktail chair or velvet sofa in look-at-me purple to create instant impact. Or why not give your dining room setting a lift with dining chairs in this amethyst-toned hue?
• For a rich and regal look, pair purple pieces with luxe metallics from gleaming gold to more subtle silver.
• If you’re keen to flirt with the trend but don’t want to go for an all-out Prince moment, team with subtle neutrals such as dove grey and sage green and natural finishes from rattan and jute to linen and wood.
• Ultra violet has a plush feel, so it also works wonderfully in soft furnishings. A boldly saturated vintage-style overdyed rug will give your space instant wow factor, while an array of colour-pop cushions in this bright tone will pep up the most tired of sofas.
• Due to its rich tonal qualities, ultra violet is a perfect shade to warm up a space, so you might like to try a table lamp or floor lamp for vibrant illumination.
• For a serious statement that taps into Ultra Violet’s status as a shade of counter culture, opt for a pop art print emblazoned with a fearless typographical slogan.
For furniture, accents, lighting, rugs and more in on-trend Ultra Violet, visit www.wayfair.co.uk. Free delivery over £40.